Dual-lens CCTV cameras have pushed traditional cameras’ boundaries and revolutionized how people safeguard their properties. These CCTV cameras unlock infinite possibilities in the surveillance world by combining two lenses into one device. This guide will explore the basics of dual-lens cameras, their benefits, use cases, and critical features to consider when choosing one.
What is a Dual-Lens CCTV Camera?
A dual-lens CCTV camera is a specialized surveillance device with two separate lenses within a single housing. Each lens serves a distinct purpose: one for capturing wide-angle views and the other for focusing on specific details. This innovative design enables the camera to provide a comprehensive field of view while maintaining the ability to zoom in on finer points of interest.
There are different types of dual-lens CCTV cameras in the market, such as bullet dual-lens cameras, dome dual-lens cameras, and PTZ dual-lens cameras. Each class has unique features and designs and can be applied to distinct scenarios.
Benefits of Using Dual-Lens CCTV Camera
Using dual-lens technology in CCTV security cameras offers several benefits and gives users more choices to safeguard their property and loved ones.
Expanded Coverage and Improved Depth Perception
Dual-lens CCTV cameras give you a more extensive view and cover more space than cameras with just one lens. This bigger view helps to avoid missing spots where bad things could happen. Also, because these cameras have two lenses that look from slightly different places, they can see more accurately how far away items are. This helps determine how big things are and where they are in the area the cameras are watching.
The dual-lens setup in CCTV cameras enables more sophisticated video analytics, such as object tracking and advanced intelligent motion detection. Advanced dual-lens camera models also come with AI algorithms, and they can detect persons, vehicles, and even pets more accurately and then reduce false alarms.
Flexible Viewing Modes
Dual-lens cameras have a neat trick: they let you see split-screen or picture-in-picture views. This means you can pick how you want to look at things. If you’re going to zoom in on just one angle, you can switch to the one-picture mode. This helps a lot in places where you must keep an eye on different things simultaneously.
High-Quality Imaging and Better Low Light Performance
Dual-lens cameras enhance their ability to capture more explicit images in challenging lighting conditions, such as nighttime surveillance, by using data from both lenses. Specific advanced models even come with larger sensors and spotlights. Furthermore, merging images from two lenses results in better image quality, including improved details, more accurate colors, and greater clarity.
Top Dual-Lens CCTV Camera Comparison & Reviews
There are many dual-lens CCTV camera models in the market, each with specifications. In this part, some top picks are enlisted with their key features.
Best Pan and Tilt Dual-Lens CCTV Camera
If you are looking for a PTZ dual-lens security camera to cover an extended range, the Reolink Trackmix can be the best choice. Reolink Trackmix has multiple versions; whether you want a wired PoE setup or a wireless WiFi connection, it can satisfy different requirements. One of the standout features of this camera is its pan and tilt(up to 355°H, 90°V) capability. The wide horizontal rotation range helps users remotely control this camera’s movements and expand the monitoring area with a larger field of view.
- Versions: PoE/WiFi
- Video Resolution: 4K 8MP
- Infrared & Color Night Vision (Infrared Night Vision Up to 30 meters/100ft)
- Two-Way Audio
- Auto-Tracking/Focus; Persons/Vehicles/Pets Detection
- Local(SD card/NVR) & Cloud Storage(Reolink Cloud)
- Work with Google Assistant
Best Budget Dual-Lens CCTV Camera
If you are looking for a budget-friendly dual-lens camera, you can’t miss out on the EVIVIZ C3X. Unlike other dual-lens cameras, the two lenses of this model have different usages. EVIVIZ C3X uses one lens to record the ambient brightness and another to capture color information. Then the two images are merged to create a picture in unparalleled detail and realistic color. More importantly, this camera is friendly for those having a limited budget. You can get it for less than $70 on Amazon.
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Video Resolution: 1080P
- Color Night Vision
- Built-in AI algorithms with Intelligent Human and Vehicle Detection
- Local Storage(SD card)& EZVIZ Cloud
- Works with Amazon Alexa
Best Dual-Lens CCTV Camera without Cloud Storage
Although it comes with a higher price tag, the Annke NightChroma NCD800 offers the advantage of being entirely local and doesn’t require any subscription fees. It seamlessly integrates with two larger image sensors and boasts innovative alert functionalities. The camera also has a powerful built-in spotlight and siren for added security.
- Connectivity Technology: PoE
- Video Resolution: 4K Ultra HD Videos at 5120 x 1440 Resolution
- Color Night Vision with f/1.0 Super Aperture and BSI Sensors
- Smart Motion & AI Human & Vehicle Detection
- Local Storage with NVR, NAS, and MicroSD Card
Key Features to Consider
When choosing the right dual-lens CCTV camera, consider the following key features.
Before purchasing one dual-lens CCTV camera, you should decide what connectivity technologies you want. Standard connectivity options include PoE and wireless connections. PoE setup requires some wiring jobs, while wireless devices need uninterrupted network signals for stable data transmissions.
Compared to single-lens security cameras, dual-lens cameras may provide higher image quality. Higher resolution ensures more explicit images and better details. For optimal results, you should look for cameras with at least 1080p or higher resolution.
Read more: What’s AI function in security camera
Field of View
You need to check the camera’s viewing angle to ensure it can cover your desired monitoring area, like the front door, driveway, porch, or garage. Many dual-lens cameras go around 100° horizontally. To cover more regions, say 360° or 180° endless monitoring, you might choose the PTZ dual-lens security camera.
Surveillance often requires monitoring in challenging lighting conditions, such as at night or in dimly lit areas. When choosing a dual-lens security camera, look for models with advanced low-light capabilities, including infrared (IR) illumination, spotlight, and wide dynamic range (WDR) technology, which can provide clear images in suboptimal lighting conditions.
Ensure your dual-lens security camera is compatible with your existing surveillance system, including recorders, monitors, and software. For example, if you want your device to integrate with your smart home system, consider those working seamlessly with Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
Common Use Cases
Dual-lens CCTV cameras offer a powerful tool for maintaining security and safety in different scenarios, and here are some everyday use cases.
● Public Spaces: Public spaces like malls, airports, and public transportation hubs can use dual-lens cameras to ensure the safety of passengers, deter criminal activity, and provide effective surveillance.
● Home Security: For homeowners, dual-lens cameras offer two separate lenses simultaneously capturing different angles or views. This feature allows users to cover a larger area with a single camera and reduces the number of cameras needed for the home defense setup.
● Business Environments: Investing in dual-lens CCTV cameras can prepare businesses for future growth and security needs because these models offer unparalleled scalability and flexibility.
Installation and Maintenance Tips for Dual-Lens CCTV Camera
To fully enjoy the benefits of dual-lens CCTV cameras, you must have them installed and functioning correctly.
1. Decide the proper mounting height: Placing the camera at an appropriate height can maximize the broad field of view of the two lenses. If the camera is mounted too low, it might lead to distortion or skewed views.
2. Ensure adequate lighting: Clear and well-lit images are essential for accurately identifying the surveillance footage’s individuals, objects, and events.
3. Daily check and test: You should recheck the views of each camera after installing them. You can also download the mobile app to test available functions.
Utilizing dual-lens CCTV cameras provide users with multiple benefits. By combining two lenses in one device, these cameras create a wider field of view and effectively enhance the overall security within the monitoring area. When choosing suitable dual-lens models, you should consider the resolution, night vision capabilities, intelligent detection, and other features.