Video doorbells have become integral to safeguarding homes and other valuable properties. Many homeowners prefer WiFi doorbells for its flexibility in placement and ease of installation. However, with various options available, finding the best WiFi video doorbell requires a keen understanding of the essential factors that define their performance.
This comprehensive guide will highlight the key considerations that make a WiFi video doorbell exceptional and present the top contenders for the title of the best WiFi video doorbell in 2024.
Aspects to Evaluate for the Review
Several factors have determined the overall performance and functionality of different doorbell models. To enhance the comprehensiveness and reliability of this review, we also identified critical aspects of most significant concern to users.
- Video Quality: Clarity in video quality is essential for identifying visitors and capturing crucial details. A high-definition video doorbell with HD or even 4K resolution ensures all details will be noticed, even in challenging lighting conditions.
- Power Source: The power source significantly affects the device’s convenience and reliability. Standard options include battery-powered, wired, or hybrid models. Battery-powered models offer flexibility in placement and eliminate the need for complex wiring. At the same time, wired and hybrid options ensure a continuous power supply without the hassle of recharging or replacing batteries.
- Storage Options: Different WiFi video doorbells offer various storage solutions for recorded footage, including cloud storage and local storage via SD card or NVR. Cloud storage provides accessibility, while local storage options offer more control over the data.
- Smart Home Integration: Seamless integration with the existing smart home ecosystems can transform the WiFi video doorbell into a component of the home automation setup. Compatibility with platforms like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit can enhance the overall user experience of the device.
- Alerts and Smart Features: Customizable alert settings ensure that users are timely notified of visitors and potential threats. Intelligent features like person detection, facial recognition, and package detection contribute to more efficient home defense.
Best WiFi Video Doorbell for 2024
After considering all these essential factors, we’ve picked out some top models for 2024.
Reolink Video Doorbell WiFi
At least twice clearer than the 2MP (1080p) models, Reolink Video Doorbell WiFi stands out for its 2K+ 5MP resolution, which means that recorded footage will come with richer details. This wired WiFi doorbell supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands for a more stable network connection and continuous power source. You can use this doorbell for 24/7 continuous, motion-triggered, and scheduled recording. Recordings can be stored locally on a microSD card (up to 256GB) or a Reolink NVR.
This model can alert you only when a person is detected, ignoring trivial non-human passers-by. You can also set a motion zone to black out areas prone to unnecessary alarms. Furthermore, you can integrate into your Google Home setup. As easy as saying, “Hey Google, show me the Front Door,” you can check what’s happening there on your Google Nest Hub or Chromecast-enabled TVs.
Eufy Video Doorbell (Wired) S330
The Eufy Video Doorbell S330 impresses with its wire-free design. Boasting 2K resolution and working over 2.4 GHz WiFi, it excels in accurate notifications and high-quality visuals. Eufy’s commitment to privacy with local storage enhances its appeal. Unlike other models reviewed in this article, this battery-powered video doorbell features two cameras to catch packages and visitors. This doorbell has a second camera at the bottom that records the doorstep.
It supports local storage with a Eufy home base, and there is no need to pay any monthly fees. It also has some innovative AI features, such as facial recognition and “Package Live Check Assistance,” which frames any packages in a blue box and collects recent events around the delivery for quick viewing. Based on the user scenario, the battery life lasts about 3 to 6 months.
Ring Battery Plus Doorbell
Ring’s Battery Doorbell Plus upholds its brand reputation for innovation and accessibility. This new model adds better video quality with a resolution of 1536 x 1536p, and it offers color night vision options in low-lit environments. This model works great with Amazon Alexa and Samsung SmartThings and can record locally to a Ring Alarm Pro.
However, its battery life could be better, lasting two months with all the features turned on. You don’t have to worry a lot about the battery because Ring is the only company that does offer swappable batteries. And there are no animal or vehicle alerts, only people and packages (for a fee).
Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell
Offering a square aspect ratio and HDR video, Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell ensures a broader field of view and detailed images. This doorbell is the best if you use multiple smart home platforms or are looking for models outside the Google or Alexa ecosystem. It is also compatible with Samsung SmartThings and Apple Home Kit(with an Arlo Hub).
The resolution of this device is 1536x1536p, and it requires a bit of wiring for power connection. There is also a built-in siren for scaring off a package thief or neighborhood cat and a backup battery (it only lasts for a few minutes). But the downside is that you can only use 2.4GHz WiFi for Internet connection, which is less reliable than dual-band models.
Google Nest Doorbell (Battery)
As the first video doorbell from Google to function entirely on battery, it can be installed more quickly and flexibly. It can work seamlessly with your Google Home setup, with innovative features like face recognition, package, person, and vehicle detection. Another pitch of the Nest Doorbell is its internal storage, which allows it to capture and save events when the internet goes down. It will then upload the footage once internet connectivity has been restored.
However, the video resolution is only limited to 960 x 1280 pixels at 30 frames per second, and it also has a narrower field of view (145 degrees). But since the aspect ratio has been turned to portrait orientation (taller than wide), it provides a better head-to-toe view of someone at your door.
Each of the reviewed models presents unique features, catering to various preferences. As we only focus on some of the best sellers in 2024, it’s evident that WiFi video doorbells will continue evolving to satisfy distinct home defense requirements. Among the top sellers of WiFi video doorbells in 2024, models of Reolink, Eufy, Ring, Arlo, and Google Nest have demonstrated excellence in various aspects. By understanding your specific needs and priorities, you can confidently choose the WiFi video doorbell that best complements your home and lifestyle.